I’m Cole, a security professional with experience working in the government, financial, NFP, and technology sectors.
This blog was initially focussed on Cybersecurity, but I’ve decided to write on things that interest me more broadly. If you want only security content, feel free to use Tags and look at “Web Security” for example.
I live in Australia in the Hunter Valley, but am looking to move to Victoria, BC, Canada to continue my work at Change.org as their Staff Security Engineer.
I’ve been slack on writing for the blog over the last year with Coronavirus, changes in my lifestyle, and getting a burnt out from continuous security research. I’ve since taken up a lot more swimming, heading to concerts, and reading outside of my sector to recover a little from that. I’ll write when I feel like it, but aim to try once a fortnight at this stage. Feel free to message me if you want some advice about the industry or are interested in consulting for your organisation.
Professionaly I’m interested in:
- Public Speaking opportunities
- Mentoring of security professionals
- I speak on a Podcast w/ Toby Amodio about technical security controls and their place within large enterprises vs smaller technology companies
- I am writing a book w/ Farooq Ahmed about security, details to come.
- Contributing to security working groups including AppSec Australia.
Other interests to me include:
- Playing of videogames, or viewing/understanding speedruns of them. I especially enjoy looking into the technical details of those exploits.
- Casual weightlifting and swimming, just for staying healthy.
- Reading about history and other interesting topics. My recent forays have been into:
- The political relationship between Australia and China.
- Modern Monetary Theory and it’s impact on the global economy.
- How people manipulate data to achieve their goals.
- Value investment
- Going to museums and art galleries. I never understood the value of art as a younger man, but now trying to become more appreciative of that.
- I also enjoy espresso coffees, strawberry milkshakes, and dry whites.